Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Avatar overhyped? Or so I thought..

Let me guess, you have already seen the movie Avatar? And you're gonna tell me how great it was and that I need to go see it? Because I have already heard from 50 different people that it was the most amazing movie they have ever scene. I think its crazy that a movie that is computer animated became the highest grossing film of all time in North America. The movie's director, James Cameron, is the same guy who directed Titanic, which originally claimed that title as the highest grossing film ever made. I must say he has quite the resume. I remember when I first saw the previews for Avatar in the movies. I was thinking to myself, who on earth is going to see that movie? And I'm sure most people were just as skeptical as I was. I remember listening to a talk radio show and the host was talking about movies that will get us to pay to see them. This was a couple of weeks before the movie was released. All we had seen was the previews on TV. The host was blasting James Cameron for his idea. I must say, I was totally on board with what he was saying. Everything he was saying came right out of my head. He said, "The movie Avatar is not going to get my money at the theater. Movies that take place in a fantasy world just are not going to get most people's attention. Because no one can relate to those movies. Any movie that has blue people running around and takes place on a planet called "Pandora" is always going to be an afterthought." Wow. After a few weeks of release and claiming the top spot at the box office that is all I can say. Wow. How could I, and everyone else who doubted this movie be more wrong. If James Cameron were to see me face to face, I wonder what he would say. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. After all the success it has gained and all the positive feedback I am getting from everyone else, I still have not made myself go see it. I don't wanna say it's because I still have doubts about it. But unfortunately that could be the case. I don't know why. Maybe I'm being stubborn about the fact that an animated movie has broken almost all of the box office records. I'm sure I will see the movie, albeit it may be when it comes out on DVD. All I know is when I do see it, I will keep an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment